Friday, April 27, 2012

What we should do with obsession (#1183)

Now this subject is one I have had to deal with a few times in my life. I have handled it badly and I have handled it well. Let me be perfectly clear, either way was difficult, but handling it badly was by far much more difficult for me and for others. So, of course I suggest handling obsessive impulses with as little difficulty as possible. Normally obsession is all consuming and therefore not easily recognizable as a thought and behavioral negative. In fact, many obsessions are viewed, at least in my case, as only slightly abnormal instinctual responses. I could justify my obsession with very clear logic at the time. Which makes us who are in the throes of obsession not the wisest judge of our thoughts and behaviors. It is at times like this that we need to communicate with trusted ones about what we are doing in an open and honest way. Always remember, if an obsession cannot stand the light of day in honest conversation, then it is most probably a negative impulse, it still may likely be a negative impulse when shared in honest conversation, but it is for sure if it must remain a secret. We are all subject to obsessions and it is in how we handle them that shows whether we have a problem or not. I prefer to balance any feeling of thought and action against virtue. Honestly, it kills off many would be obsessions before they get started. lol. I am a human and therefore prone to unrealistic imaginings, so the importance of having a check and balance system about what I think and do is highly critical. Most of the mistakes I have made in my life can be directly related to me acting on obsessive impulses before understanding the consequences and virtue of those obsessive impulses.

No comments: