Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Don't burn any bridges (#1516)

We all must move on but we don't need to burn the bridges behind us that lead back to our past. What we need to do is leave a lane open for old relationships to evolve into better relationships. Now the careful part here is that we should not leave open into our past a safety valve for us to escape back into old bad relationships or behaviors, but instead as way to allow for changes that are truly recognizable and sincere. I had always been of the mindset that there are billions of people on this planet and if the ones I knew were going to be a bad influence on me then it would be best to forget them and move on to new relationships. But what I have learned is that it is not the person who is a bad influence on me it is what I allow to happen when I am with them. I needed to change more than I expected them to change. Life is a funny old thing because the older we get the more we realize that our own best thoughts are not always the best for us. We must all find someone with some wisdom that we can go to in order to discuss our thoughts and find out if they are rationally reliable. One can go through life without having some wise person to share our thoughts with but the effects of trial and error mean that we are not moving through life as effectively and smartly as we could be. And the consequences of that trial and error can easily cause irreparable damage. An easy rule of thumb is to give everyone the benefit of the doubt but make sure that you personally are in a better place when the doubt is of a negative alluring nature.

No comments: