Saturday, July 13, 2013

Standing strong for what's right! (#1625)

I always think back to one of our famous American patriots during our Revolutionary War, Nathan Hale, who was hung to death by the British as a traitor to the British Empire, and his dying quote of; "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." I only have one life to lose is quite a strong standing phrase to use as one's last statement, but it does reflect an intensity of purpose that is overwhelmingly unmistakable. So it is with how I try to live, although I am not facing some hanging tribunal or firing squad, I do recognize that if I don't stand up for what is right in this world I am not utilizing such a perfect example Nathan Hale set out for us. Everywhere around us our sense of right and good is being contested in ways that are embarrassing, unjust and undignified. As if our society has too mush individual responsibility to contest we do not see the attack on our community as a whole. Our society needs to have compassion and curiosity at it's core and when those two elements of our nature are being suppressed or dwindled, we are lessening ourselves as individuals as well. Surely we fight for our persons and loved ones but we must also fight for those whom we don't know. Not so much as a protection for ourselves but as a protection for the foundation of our society. When we all share in opportunity, fairness and justice we all preserve for each other those rights as well. I only regret..., such a statement from a man who would gladly come back from death to defend principles of democracy as many times as necessary. What an honorable concept that deserves our respect and duty to uphold. 

No comments: