Saturday, October 12, 2013

Rescuing the cat this morning (#1716)

I noticed yesterday evening that Carter, my 10 year old cat, had not eaten his normal midday meal. None of it. Which is really odd because my cat likes his meals. I didn't make too much of this since the days are relatively warm and he likes to scout whenever the mood strikes him. I figured this was just an anomaly and didn't give it another thought. Later last night however I did realize again that his food had not been touched and I hadn't seen him since around noon. Then I became concerned. You should know that we are surrounded by watch dogs on all sides except the back fence where we border Arcade Creek. He has been known to frequent the creek and it has been preserved as a wildlife habitat by it's owner. Which means that any reasonably sized "wild" animal could be out and about. I did my due diligence and searched the large backyard for Carter but with no luck. As I tried to go to sleep I found that I couldn't because my cat sleeps down at the foot of the bed and he was not there. Why I was so unsettled is that Carter is always there as he is the first to go to sleep. Just another reminder that my cat was missing. I tossed and turned for a couple of hours and he had still not come home. There is a dog/cat door he could access to get in. So finally at midnight, after playing out all the gruesome possibilities in my head, I went back outside to look. No luck, then back to sleep for another few hours and then back up at 4 am to look for him. I found him meowing in a tree in the nearby church parking lot, apparently after having been treed by the custodian's dogs. I got my ladders out and scaled the fence between our properties and then laddered up the tree to get my cat down. All is good now, especially my soul. :)

No comments: