Sunday, February 2, 2014

Let the good outweigh the bad in our lives (#1829)

When at the end of my life I am hoping that the good I have done will tip the scales and leave the bad wanting. We are all culpable for both aspects of what we have done with our lives. It is just that the good is a legacy that validates humanity as truly the only species that knowingly, most chooses the better and best when given a conscious choice. Our species is the only one on this planet that has the ability to adapt logically and psychologically to our surroundings with reason. Our species is superior to all other life forms that we know of because we can reason and act accordingly. Now other forms of life on our planet can do simple reason and act but their upper limit is arguably well below our more complex and nuanced abilities. As such we are unique in all the Universe as far as we know. I always caveat putting we humans in the category of being the most of anything given that there is so much we don't know as yet. But that we know of no other species whose capabilities come close to ours I can at least say that we have no known match. Such an awesome advantage and yet, responsibility we own. I say responsibility because it is easy enough for us to let our minds wander about our own greatness and unique abilities that we forget that we are also frail and dependent upon this planet and all outside of it for our very existence. That is why I remain a humble man who can keep the perspective I do, which is to enjoy the life I have while helping others do the same. I will live for a while and then I will die and for my part the living part is all about what good I can do while avoiding the bad which is not well for my personal nature.

No comments: