Sunday, April 13, 2014

Opportunity for respect and dignity (#1899)

I often hear the right wing Republicans talk about how the character of the poor and disadvantaged is morally bankrupt and beyond repair. So instead of trying to help those, who they self-prescribe as wastrels, they demean and punish them for their lack of honor. That is their "take" on it. My "take" on it is quite the opposite. I don't see a morally bankrupt and irredeemable class of poor citizenry. What I see instead is a demoralized and beaten down poor class of citizenry who are not afforded the same opportunities their wealthy fellow citizens are afforded. If anything those who are morally bankrupt and are proving to be irredeemable are the class of folks who are wealthy and control the levers of economic power. It amazes me that the wealthy and the powerful want to blame those who have little control over the outcomes of their lives for the failure of the wealthy to improve the society that benefited the wealthy. Instead of the wealthy taking the reins of their success and funneling it back to the areas in our country that would most benefit from them having a real care about the citizens of our country, they instead continue to reap the benefit of their lofty positioning and allow for baser instincts to guide their path forward. The baser the better in their world since if you are not one of them then you are unworthy of having the same opportunities they were gifted with. Now not all the wealthy are greedy and selfish, however too many are and that is real. How can I convince the well off that what is right in the world comes from how our hearts and minds experience life. I know I have some better than average abilities and I regard that humbly and with a duty to return those abilities the best I can to the family of humanity as a offering of my gratitude. A personal respect and dignity for all of life.

No comments: