Monday, July 14, 2014

A vision with optimism and a process with cautious skepticism (#1991)

Once we can see a better future for ourselves and all others we need to keep an enduring optimism about it. Nothing defeats our own initiative like self doubt. Staying optimistic about something better is a purpose of a higher order that can withstand the test of time. Nonetheless, we need to keep our vision grounded with some forms of skepticism. I say that because being cautious about our process for attaining our ultimate vision for society must not be rushed but carefully thought out with some reservation. The importance of not losing sight of our ultimate goal cannot be sidetracked by the process we employ to achieve it. This is where compromise can be useful in our world of divergent ambitions. Take the Affordable Care Act. It was not the perfect for either political party yet it does one thing very very well, it gets us closer to insuring more people and offering health care to millions more. An act of compromise in order to move forward, very well done but not the end. Eventually a Universal health care act will be passed due in large part by the major step forward the Affordable Care Act provided. One absolute certain fact of our existence is change. So although I have a vision of a better life for all, I am also aware that as our society continues to evolve so must my idea of a process for helping my vision and many more like me's vision along. There is not one static right way to get things done. This is where skepticism, not about our vision, but about the process necessary to further it, comes in. Many people think that they must have some great purpose for being born, much like I did when I was less mature, and have a hard time thinking that the Universe created them for so little a purpose as moving society along step by step. But that is exactly where the logic of my life has landed me and in that knowing I am fully behind my optimistic vision for our future, regardless of how long or of what cautious process makes it happens.

No comments: