Saturday, August 2, 2014

We should never sell ourselves short (#2010)

There are enough cynical people in the world who think nothing of selling us short, so just as a defense mechanism, we should never allow ourselves to do it to ourselves. In a perfect world we are all so very worthy of great outcomes with our lives, yet we don't live in a perfect world and the cynical ones who have given up ever trying to change our world for the better slink among us churning up the waters of despair whenever it profits them. They have quit any semblance of humanity and instead have traded their humanity in for lustful greed. Their conscious is not that of the normal person, they have abdicated empathy for the sensations of power and grandeur. I understand their choice, it is a feverish addiction not any different from drugs, sex, gambling or other overwhelming desires that prioritize themselves above all other sane avenues of living. Though I understand the siren call these cynical ones have come to be mesmerized by, I thoroughly disdain the capture. When we allow ourselves to quit on life it is only then that other more nefarious choices become addictively attractive. None of these cynical ones are totally lost to shirking off their cynicism, yet I don't have a cure all for them. I know what they must do but how they must do it is on them to find. Which is why I suggest first accepting that humility should be our first act toward contrition. I know that I don't know, so quitting on life is not an option for a guy like me who never stops wanting to know. I will always be that blank slate I started out in life with. I have added a few principles to my slate but mostly it is still blank. Which for me leaves enormous space for growth, which is the building block of my life, growth that is. Selling myself short despite the motives of others to sell me short has no bearing on what is right, only on what is wrong. So to get to what is right in life I must never sell myself short nor let anyone else do it to me either.

No comments: