Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Ignorance is not a value (#2770)

     Ignorance is a choice. If you don't want to know something you are choosing to not know it. The buck stops with you. No one else is at fault but you. Have I made myself perfectly clear? I know this because I have chosen to be ignorant in the past because it conflicted with my preconceived notion of what I thought was right and wrong. It didn't take me long to realize that me holding onto a set of beliefs about what life was all about and those beliefs being in conflict with actual reality was an untenable position to hold. I had to reassess what I wanted reality to be with what reality actually is. So I became an objective observer of reality without any preconceived notions. I allowed reality to dictate to me what right and wrong were and is.
     I found that now I wasn't letting being ignorant to possibilities and probabilities exist in my life. I live with an open mind concerning the panoramic and comprehensive complexities that used to dissuade me from knowing all that which is around and about me. I have mentioned this many times before in this blog, it is like the chapter in Plato's Republic, "The Allegory of the Cave" http://study.com/academy/lesson/the-allegory-of-the-cave-by-plato-summary-analysis-explanation.html, Where enlightenment shows us our ignorance despite our inability to recognize it without a perspective.
     The purpose of living an objective life is so that we are open to all that which is logical or at least possible. It was not my intent to bring this discussion around to myths, mores and superstitions but it seems that outside of outright fear, these are the common factors that keep us from having a more open approach to our curiosity. The metaphorical Ostrich with it's head buried in the sand to avoid danger is not so dissimilar from what we humans do when we ignore knowledge and intelligence in favor of the mystical or supernatural. We must all start from a base of understanding so that we can communicate and grow with each other based on the factors known in this existence and ignorance does not possess any value in the concept.

No comments: