Sunday, May 3, 2009

Still becoming a Gentleman (#93)

"A man whose conduct conforms to a high standard of propriety or correct behavior". My most arduous ambition. This life-long growth, into the man I want to be, is complicated by my inability to discern precisely what is true in some cases. The certainty of truth can differ from one person to the next. My greatest challenge is applying logic to the emotional gift I, as a human, possess and then understanding what "correct behavior" is my truth. It is important for the truth to be my truth. I am the one who must live with my choices and hopefully be the only one who bears the consequences if they are inaccurate. In my ambition to be the best gentlemen I can be I bring principles of honor, virtue and charity and all their meanings to shape what my behavior should be. I wasn't born with noble character but I can learn noble character and claim it for my own. It is a life-choice that raises the possibility of me living the human experience in the better and best traditions of human ability. I don't do this to be better than anyone else. I don't do this to be selfish to attain an ulterior outcome. I do this so that my life may have a positive consequence in the lives of other living things. I do this so that when my life is over it can be said; look that guy Carl helped me more than he harmed me. To me, helping someone more than harming someone is the greatest legacy I know I can achieve just by trying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI Son, As your Mother I couldn't be more prouder of you than I am right now. You have always been a gentleman as far as I'm concerned after reading your blog I realize that you know yourself more than I ever could and I love the way your becomming a good man of hope. I love you forever , your Mom