Friday, June 26, 2009

The correct usage of silence (#147)

There are so many topics of discussion that are worthy of speaking about and toward, but at times there are topics that deserve the discretion of being silent about. How do I know how to choose between the two? A simple rule would be to figure out if anything I say is negative. The old saw about "If you can't think of anything nice or good to say about something or someone then don't say anything at all" comes to my mind. Also, when an emotional time within myself is occurring it is best that I say nothing until I have calmed down and given time to reflect before I commit my thoughts to the private and public forum for discussion. Everything in life has some controversy or circumstance to it that, if given constant free airing, would eventually drive all of us away from each other. However, there is a caveat to the silence rule, when injustice is occurring and I observe it, I have a duty and obligation to humanity to speak out and protest injustice with all my might. I even have a duty to protect justice with all my actions and thoughts where I can. It's the "where I can" that needs to be defined. Whether decrying injustice with words and/or actions as well as protecting justice in the same way, discretion is, and shall always be, the guiding principle that must be the precept as a prelude to any final act or thought I conclude to offer. History has taught me that silence in the face of bad actions or words is intolerable but also that silence in the face of not being a positive influence is recommended when no word or action I take can be construed as constructive or or seen in the better or best of lights.

No comments: