Thursday, June 18, 2009

Telling the Truth can be hard (#139)

There are times when being honest about something is difficult to share even when what I want to share is the truth. These are the times when a queasy feeling comes over me and I know I would feel better saying nothing at all. It is a similar feeling to when I need to ask for some-one's forgiveness or admit to someone I was wrong. But the comparison ends there. The times I need to share the truth are greater than my queasiness. When I am maneuvered into a position of having to respond, I must do so with true care and honest truth, regardless of the sensitivity of the subject matter or of individual positions on the matter at hand. My main concern is to be honest in my response with a duty of care given not harm anyone with the wording of my position. When viewed through the lens of life being such an incredible gift to experience nothing should seem too perplexing or overwhelming as a matter for discussion. It is in the presentation of the discussion that I care to be as kind and understanding as I possibly can be when knowing the position of my take on a subject can be unwelcome news to some or all at any given time. The alternative to not being honest and open about subjects that require my response is an abdication of my responsibility to be a friendly resource and another option for anyone who is struggling to find the best answer for themselves. What I wish is not as important as being part of the great debates within life that need every perspective possible in order to find the best answers humanity may find. Information is power, but it is also a source for us to find comfort within the span of our lives. Hard truths are just another example of how we need each other for us to help us all. Good luck to us.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

AMEN!!!!! It is basically "Standing Up" for what you believe in and not trying to be fit in as a ca-million to everyone and their opinions. we tend to get lost and feel uncomfortable to speak our honest truth....love this Carl