Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Family is where your heart is (#558)

The feeling is the same no matter where I am. I have a group of friends I see a lot of and when I am around them I know I am home. It is a feeling I get of familiarity, honesty and caring that we express toward each other. The same is true with my family. I am getting ready to go visit a group of my family that I rarely get to spend time with. Distance has kept us apart but not much longer. Even if only for a few days it will last me a long time. What I am trying to express is that family is more than marriages, births and deaths, it is a feeling. It is a desire to share experiences with and laugh and talk and go places or just to be in one place all together. Families are also dysfunctional, just like my friendships but I try never to let circumstances get in the way of my great hope for us all to have the best in life. Whatever that may be to each of us. Whether friend or family, there is a bond that we try to respect. We share a heritage that is greater than any one of us individually. There is also the excitement surrounding a gathering. The unexpected fun, stories and general goofiness that is allowed because we can be ourselves. Although, for me, family is a feeling, it is also a state of mind bound by a commitment to each of us. The subconscious knowledge that we are loved just because, is at the foundation of what family represents.

No comments: