Sunday, August 1, 2010

Intelligence is only halfway to wisdom (#548)

I have heard this enough times to want to put some definition to it. All this IQ measuring is well and good but does not get anyone to wisdom. It is one thing to know a lot of facts and logic. It is another thing to put that knowledge to good common sense. When I was younger it occurred to me that to be very focused on learning letters and numbers was good but no better than knowing how to apply them in smart ways. Intelligence and common sense. We know how to get intelligence, namely by studying and being teachable. How does one "get" common sense? Common sense is understanding life in motion. Experiencing life is the usual manner, however some have shown an ability to observe others and learn through their interactions with life. For most of us though it is being in different circumstances to gather perspective as much as possible. There is also a "gut" feeling or "intuition" that is felt and if listened to can be a useful concept toward acting in wisdom. The main point I am trying to convey is that a balance between knowledge and common sense will serve me in my hope to display wisdom when I am called upon to do so. Wisdom should be our goal. The beauty and strength displayed when wisdom is revealed is sublime. It does not happen enough in my life for me, but it is my hope to achieve greater understanding in the hopes of being a wiser person.

No comments: