Friday, December 3, 2010

By helping you I help myself (#672)

This has been a learning experience for me. I have much in my life that I am thinking about at any given moment. It makes sense, since I am the one whom I am ultimately responsible for. But the lesson I am in continual learning mode about is that though I need to make decisions, concerning how I function in life, I also need to think about other things. What has been a pleasant surprise is that when I am struggling with something in my life, it suddenly becomes easier to resolve when I turn my mind to helping other people with their problems. Clearly for me, when I turn to help someone else I take my mind off my problems and focus on other people instead. This time away from my own problems seems to help give me clarity when I get back to it. Or, in other words, a different perspective, which usually translates into a simple solution for me. There is also something about helping others with their problems that seems to lift my spirits and make me feel good inside myself. It is almost selfish on my part to know that if I help other people I get to feel better. A win/win type scenario. Are we not all looking for opportunities to win/win? Lest I forget to say again, the good feeling I get when my spirit is lifted is also a benefit as well. So more like win/win/win. lol. I have found that learning this lesson of helping others to help myself is an ongoing daily routine I am trying to incorporate into my life more and more. Apparently, something like this, that seems so right, must be part of my better nature and therefore if good for me then why not good for you too? If our world was more about this approach, how much better would our existence here be?

No comments: