Wednesday, December 1, 2010

How we judge each other (#670)

Remembering back to my early childhood, I was so innocent. Everything was new and fresh for the first time. My eyes were wide open with expectations, even though I did not know what to expect. That time was the best my life has been since. Why is that? Well, I thought anything was possible at any given moment, I admired everyone and everything and I was going to be a part of whatever was going to happen. I was just waiting to learn to be great like everyone else. However, that was not my outcome. I was quickly made aware that negative attitudes and less than noble instincts were at play in life and I was just beginning to see them for the first time. My high expectations of living in a world where everyone cared about each other was shattered. I began to see that people were labeled as different things and that these different things were not equal. I began to notice how words were used to describe some as either one thing or another instead of a mixture of many things. I was told to stay away from some people because they were not like me. What did that mean? Life became confusing to me and I was less happy. I started to feel fear as a reaction to being around certain "types" of people when before I was honored to meet new people. My world at that very young age of innocence was taken from me and in it's place was a darker more cynical one. I remember how I used to smile at the sunny days and look forward to new adventures. I still smile at the sunny days but the pure joy I felt has been gone since the days of my innocence. I am not the only one, everyone else has lost that first innocence they were born with as well. Our inability to see each other as family instead of with suspicion has taken our lives in existence, from innocence to fear.

No comments: