Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Irrelevancy of an illegitimate argument (#2084)

I refuse to allow myself to be part of conversations that have little to nothing to do with reality or logic. I have been wasting valuable hours and days of my life trying to convince some people the necessity of starting from a factual foundation. It is frustrating and aggravating to have to convince people to be logical about their thinking. I just refuse to be part of it anymore. I will however continue to try to start a debate on a subject from a factually logical point in time but after that I will not continue if the factually logical point is ignored. Some folks seem to think they can debate an issue without being informed as to the subject's cause and effect. How is it that we are so consumed with our own unfailing ability to be smarter than the subject's experts? It is an arrogance of birth or privilege that seems to have a place among some of our citizens. They want to come across as being smart on a subject without doing the hard tedious research necessary to be in command of a subject. They hear talking points from some subjectively opinionated outlet and then claim them as their own original thought. It is so much easier to try to come across as smart than to actually be smart. The old shortcut through life protocol, baffling people with bullshit instead of dazzling them with brilliance. I know this because when I was younger and less informed I tried it myself. I also felt the sting of being found out and the shame that came with it. So instead of starting over with a new form of a con, I went back to school and did the hard work of researching the premises of the the arguments I wanted to be informed about. I learned both sides of the argument so that when the debate time comes, I have a firm grasp on which side is the most compelling in presenting the best evidence to sway others to the same conclusion I have formed. The relevancy of arguments in a professional debate have one thing in common, both sides are legitimate in their defense but only one side can be the most persuasive.

No comments: