Monday, October 13, 2014

The satisfaction in a job well done (#2082)

I do believe this, that there is no job that if done right is not honorable. From being a street sweeper to being a hero like a firefighter, if done successfully, the level of satisfaction is correlative. Of course one job has a higher priority of value based upon our morality, but regardless, they offer the same satisfaction when well accomplished. So it is with our passions and our perceived necessary priorities. There is no honor in quitting if quitting doesn't accomplish our goal to begin with. Having to settle for less or to compromise away the value of the job is also much less satisfying. When we focus all our attention and effort into attaining completion of a job and then see it through to the end, we can then know the true sense of accomplishment. When the job is done and there is nothing left but the memory of it's completion is when we can rest or relax in the knowledge that our efforts have created a worthy accomplishment. Many of my accomplishments are fleeting, such as the day I meticulously raked the lawn of all the leaves and then within hours the lawn was covered again from newly fallen leaves. However for that one brief moment there was a real satisfaction that permeated my being. Then there are jobs that take months and even years to accomplish and when they are done there is hopefully not only satisfaction, but often, a sense of loss. Having spent so much time and energy accomplishing the job had created a dependency in making the completion come about. I found I missed that which I was striving to accomplish when it was done. But the ironic beauty of life is that there is still so much that continues to need improving. So the job that comes next will have my time and energy no less than the previous jobs. I guess what I am saying here is that whatever we do, regardless of perceived value, there is a level of satisfaction in doing it well and good.

No comments: