Sunday, November 2, 2014

I fight for those who can't fight for themselves (#2102)

A heroes complex? Maybe, but from every part of my being there is nothing about harmful power that I admire. In fact I abhor it. I am no hero but I do act in the manner that has those qualities. I cannot stand oppression, I cannot stand human or other animal suffering or neglect. In my soul there is a beating heart for those who are trampled on for no reason other than someone else's greed or psychopathy. I don't have to be invested in fighting for others, I could do nothing, or even worse be part of the same oppressive forces that worship greed and power as their ultimate ambitions. Yet I can't. There is a civilized decency within me, although I observe this ancient and barbaric behavior in the animal kingdom, it does not define me. Surely those who claim a survival of the fittest paradigm can point out in nature the similarities that exist with the lesser species, and they would be correct that a survival of the fittest does exist with them and also with our own past human history. But our lesser animal brothers and sisters are not we humans and we current humans are not our more ancient ancestors. We are here now with the knowledge and innovative creativity we have evolved toward. So any looking backward in our historical timeline or using lesser intelligent animals' behavior to justify reverting back to behavior that we have evolved from is absurd and unintelligent. My only conclusion is that those who would yearn for a past existence we humans have evolved from are operating in fear and misunderstanding. It takes courage to be a human. That is a baseline by which no human should fall below. It takes understanding that we are in a continual state of change and the misunderstanding that we can go back to being something we have evolved from is not in conformance with reality. Our curiosity has brought us this far and it will continue to fuel our never ending evolution in the present and future. That is the observation we need to understand and embrace that nature has taught us. Our time is finite and for us to waste it not being human is the real tragedy here.

No comments: