Thursday, March 26, 2009

Confidence to Discover (#55)

Occasionally I run into a problem that I have not personally solved before. At these times I find that my first instinct is to ask someone who has experience with the problem and how they solved it. The first instinct of asking someone frequently worked out to my knowing how to solve the problem. What it also did was allow me to shortcut a process of discovery I had available to myself. The benefit to asking someone, instead of learning to solve a particular problem myself, is saving time and probably money, because of the trial and error process. The cost of asking someone instead of learning to solve the problem on my own is the immense satisfaction I could experience if I was able to analyze and conclude the solution by using common sense and logic. It is my contention that, excluding emergencies, the cost of not experiencing the satisfaction of discovery is greater than the benefit of saving time and money. Philosophically, having satisfying life experiences is one of a few attributes available to humanity and to deny one out of a sense of duty to a completion mandate creates a dilemna that normally relegates satisfaction of discovery to the lesser outcome. I will continue to examine ways where the confidence I have to solve problems on my own becomes a greater action in the living of my life.

No comments: