Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Power of Memory (#34)

Very few times in my life have I given thought to the significance of my memory. As I have gotten older and added more to my memory it is becoming increasingly more valuable to me. I tend to remember happy and satisfying moments. To a lesser extent I recall painful or troublesome moments, however the important thing is, that I have a historical audio/video record of events in my memory that affected me in my past. The happy and satisfying moments give me a sense of joy and reinforces the idea that life can be fulfilling. The painful or troublesome moments eventually lead me to a place where hope takes over. Hope that what has passed is gone and what lies ahead can be better. Some memories are unchangeable though, such as the passing of a loved one that strikes hard at the center of our being. These memories are indiscriminate and no one person is immune to them. I have a friend I have known for forty-three years who yesterday at work with me, was sitting at lunch silently crying a heavy flow of tears. I have never seen him cry before but then in his defense he never lost his father before. Memories are a significant factor in what makes us the unique humanity that we are. Memories can bring us joy and they can help us deal with loss, either way the power of memory is a gift.

No comments: