Monday, March 30, 2009

The Vegetarian in Me (#59)

I am well into my second year as a non-meat eating vegetarian. There were two reasons for me becoming a vegetarian. One; was that I was determined to lose weight and I knew that meat was the food that I was eating too much. Two; I have always felt a kinship with animals that conflicted with my eating of their flesh. My weight has become an issue as I have gotten older and more sedentary. My activity level has slowly diminished without my eating behavior changing. As time has gone by my weight continued to increase until my health and restricted movement, (because of weight gain), forced me to address my weight gain. I have tried to lose weight through dieting and exercise and have always failed one way or another. I began to suspect that meat was the catalyst for my weight problem. The fondness I have for animals seemed always to be in contradiction with my morals when I used them as a source of nourishment. Today there are soy products out on the market that replicate meat products in taste and appearance so much that I have been able to transition to them. I have lost over sixty pounds and have satisfied my hunger, without having to eat any animal that has a face. Seems that I have found a solution to a couple of problems I was having in my life that works for me.

No comments: