Friday, March 27, 2009

We are not hard-wired (#56)

To my dismay, I have come to experience my inability to remember simple historical events in their proper context. I was talking to a relative yesterday about how I forgot the Star Spangled Banner was written in the war of 1812, not during our Revolutionary War of 1776. It is this simple forgetful reality that troubles me. I know that I learned this fact when I was younger in grammer school and certainly was tested on it at the time. A foundational bit of knowledge about my country, brother to Washington being our first elected president, that must never become so trivial that I could lose it's historical context. My sense is that not enough information concerning the heroic efforts of our ancestors is generally discussed in our day to day lives. I would be better served to find the patience and effort to constantly double-check information that I am preparing to share with the hope that it is as accurate as possible. I can also focus more clearly on the events in front of me so that I can file into my memory the correct happenstance of the details. I know that I am only human and forgetfulness is explained as a product of a busy and long life. I am stubborn enough to not accept that explanation and make my reality into a solution that protects my memory from forgetfulness. I hope I succeed in remembering events that I respect and admire along with the lessons I have learned that raised my determination to be a better man.

No comments: