Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Duty to Our Sovereignty (#88)

Ecclesiastes 3, verse 1: "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven." This statement is remarkably clear in both it's function and time. I love this verse because it highlights the necessity of individual/groups of individuals, to understand events in their lives in a way that affects them. Sovereignty over myself makes me a sovereign to how I act or react. All of us share this unique quality of being. When we are not sovereign over our actions then in some way or form we have abdicated our right to be our own sovereign to someone or something else. This last statement concerning abdication of sovereignty is the topic of my writing this day. As individuals who are free spirited and given to knowing the inherent right of freedom, we have a duty, a genetic duty to focus and shape our lives to the better and best of our shared human traits. If this one principle of duty to myself was all I ever knew about how life should be lived, I can honestly say that my life would be a worthy adventure and notable as a honorable example of how to live.

No comments: