Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My Body versus Me (#67)

I know this sounds like a weird title but there is some comment I want to make about it. Many times I have thought quietly about the connection between my inner self, or my spirit, and my physical self, my body. To me they are two different things. My spirit has a continuity of freshness that my body doesn't exhibit. I know I must take into account the limits of my body but I must also allow my spirit to forge ahead beyond my physical tiredness and accomplish some things I feel necessary. The old saw about "When the going gets tough the tough get going" seems appropriate to what I am describing. I know that I am one being but I also know that I am made up of parts that make me one being. It is this understanding that allows me to mix the different parts of myself to match the need I am confronting. These parts or qualities give me opportunities to succeed if I am willing to give the great effort necessary. This conversation began in my head when I thought about how tired and sore my body was and how eager and fresh my spirit was feeling. The contradiction within the boundaries of me enlightens me to the fact that my body dictates the length of my life but my spirit dictates the quality of my life. In the reasoning I hold dear, quality of life overrules quantity of life every time.

No comments: