Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Rich and Full Life (#78)

My experiences are what I value the most. I had a friend who used to say that everything material is just pig-iron. What he meant was that the only thing he had worth any real value was his skin and what was beneath it. He would say that if all he had while walking through life were the clothes on his back then he would still know he was happy. There have been two times when the things I had on my back were all the material things I had. Since then, I have been able to accumulate some things but I know, through experience, that being alive and knowing it, was where my true sense of value became established. I have not become the best man I can be yet but I have started down that path with a vigor and a zeal. "I think, therefore I am", is the Cartesian existential truism. Everything after this general philosophical axiom is gravy so to speak. Rene Decartes' simple statement is the foundation of where all my thoughts begin and end, so that I can keep what life really should be like in perspective. The proof of my rich and full life is how I live, not what I live with and have.

No comments: