Thursday, August 6, 2009

It is up to me to define myself. (#188)

I am me and who me is, is up to me to present to the world. That first sentence is a mouth full. Not only in how I wrote it but in it's meaning. The hardest part of learning how to be me was to find the courage to let me be me, without worrying how that looked to everyone else. What I found out is that how I look to myself is what I needed to worry about. I am the best judge of who I am and should never let appearances determine how I present myself. That's where the courage part comes in. My life used to be dictated by cliches and norms that my friends and I developed in response to peer pressure and prideful desires. I spent many years trying to live under a set of determinations based upon how I was perceived instead of how I actually was. When those superficial determinations no longer applied to the image I was trying to present myself as, I was left with very little of substance to be judged by. When I think of the movie entitled "Hollow Man" I think of who I had let myself become, a man with very little to offer. When I began to reacquaint myself with who I was inside me without the influences of peer pressure and selfish desires I discovered a gentle soul who truly wishes to see everyone enjoy their lives to the fullest with a calm and a peace I wish for myself. The courage to present myself to the world, regardless of some imagined vulnerability I would display, has been difficult but rewarding. I have found that I am worthy of being who I am with all my heart and soul. I have also discovered the joy and love my heart has been trying to share with me for so very long.

No comments: