Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The misconception of perception (#193)

To my detriment, I was raised to view some people and some ideas as lesser than myself. I was acculturated to believe that privilege was a right that came with a way of thinking and by the physical appearance of my genetic code. When I was young and impressionable I was susceptible to prejudicial and biased thinking. Simply because I didn't know any better. Ignorance on my part is and will never be an excuse but it at least explains my naivete toward early learning. Since I am a child of my society however, I have come to realize the fallacious views my early acculturation stood upon. The only privilege anyone is entitled to is not by birth or mindset but by hard work and caring sacrifice. The openness toward learning based on a logical reasoning is what I value and will defend in the onslaught of selfishness and selfishness' expressions. Our society is not perfect, it is designed to enhance equality, liberty and freedom to all of it's citizens. Establishing certain basic fundamental rights at the foundation of our society are being debated and slowly implemented over time. How much of a duty of care do we owe each individual within society? This question will continue to find it's answer as time goes by. In the meantime does the ability of society to provide security and opportunity for those who are successful within society, give a pass or negate their responsibility to improve the same society that benefits them? The morality involved in answering this question is upon each individual. Having a perspective or perception based upon values and facts should give us an answer.

No comments: