Saturday, June 5, 2010

Character tempered through the forge of suffering (#491)

I recently read the title I am using from a sentence in a book called "Triumph of the Sun"-Wilbur Smith. It stuck in my mind so I wrote it down for a topic on this blog. It is so appropriate for me that I found this concept. I seem to learn the best when I do have to suffer. This is unfortunate because I know better yet I still attempt to change the outcome. It is as if it isn't real to me unless I actually do the thoughts or actions myself. The reward is that if I survive my suffering I end up in a better place than when I started. I know that I am not unique in this wasteful process of practicing denial but I hope that I can move beyond learning through suffering. I also know that as I continue in life my participation in learning through suffering is getting less frequent, so there is hope for me. I now have the perspective of hindsight and the insight of logic to help me beyond trial and error. My character will grow whether I suffer or not if I am willing to learn. The bottom line is for my character to improve not to add suffering to mine or anyone else's life. The wisdom necessary to distinguish the process I use to learn is also part of the growth in character that I am always searching for. I am getting older and hopefully wiser about my actions as they relate to learning. I need to stop and question my motives when I find myself in situations that do not feel right or correct. It is up to me if I want to learn through logic and intuition instead of selfishness and stubborn pride.

No comments: