Monday, June 28, 2010

Respect or power (#514)

It is rare that both respect and power can come together in the form of one person. There are occasions where it does occur but not very often. What we constantly end up with is either one or the other. There are so many who see power as a greater reality than being respected. Power can always be justified, if we are willing to deny that having power over others is more beneficial to ourselves. For most people who seek power a great amount of selfishness is the motivation. Quite often power is the link to greater wealth or control over other types of desires. Respect is less a prospect because it requires one to be less selfish and more selfless. I rather enjoy the paradigm of respect because it implies that I have done something for others that they feel grateful to me for doing. In making others happy, I find a reward within my soul that is greater than any reward that has a material component. I have lived long enough to know that my peace of mind and my moral, legal and ethical sense weigh more heavily in my personal scale of justice. It is as if I am preparing myself to be right for when my end in this existence comes so that my mind will be clear and ready to accept whatever may be next. I have my own value system for the possible endless circle of eternity. My life here on Earth is to be the best I can live and think while I am here. Whatever happens next whether something or nothing will not change how I like to feel while I am here.

No comments: