Saturday, July 24, 2010

Being happy even when it is hard (#540)

I remember a WWII movie about a man who lost his family at the beginning of the war and then at the end of the war got his family back. The reason I am using this illustration is because this story touched me at the depths of my soul. He got his family back but with extra children included due to the ravages of what war did to his wife. He accepted his new children because he had a greater heart than I could imagine a man having. What I understand today is that no one is due anything. Life comes at us and we deal with it as we are able. I often think about how I sometimes don't get what I think or feel that I should have and immediately I start the pity party. However, I use little reminders to pull myself out of that thinking. I remember that I am not any more special than that character in the movie who did everything he could to survive and make his way back to his family, even such as it became. I remember the gut-wrenching feeling I had at the end of the movie and I just could not understand how he could accept his lot in life. Now nothing in my life has ever gotten to that extreme for me but the principle is always the same. No matter what, be thankful for everything. Never let the circumstances in life tear me down so far that I cannot appreciate even the smallest gift I have.

No comments: