Friday, July 9, 2010

Find out who you are (#525)

In a continuation of the "Don't be afraid" series, This one might be the scariest one of all. On a personal level that is. Stereotypes and expectations are forms we find ourselves contained within. They offer a sense of security and fellowship. If I stay within certain societal and or dogmatic behaviours then I have an arrival of a self-satisfying feeling of belonging. When I was younger all I could imagine is just being like everyone else. I knew within me that I could not measure up to regular people unless I was like them. This is an illusion I was caught up in. There is no regular concept of everyone else. But what there is, is a sub-conscious and even conscious herd mentality in how we present ourselves to each other. We strive for sameness in hopes of maintaining acceptance with each other. I think we should understand each other and if there is sameness then well and good but if there is not sameness we should express that as well. Knowing who I am and defending who I am are both equally important. I am not afraid of finding out who I am inside me. I am who I am, that does not make me any less or more than anyone else. What makes me different is whether I have the courage to live who I am, Instead of trying to fit in with who others are. Being afraid is normal. We all share this in some form. But being afraid should not be an obstacle in discovering who we are and accepting that our personal uniqueness is just as viable as anyone else's.

No comments: