Friday, July 16, 2010

"Get busy living or get busy dying" (#532)

"Get busy living or get busy dying. I saw and heard this line in the movie "Shawshank Redemption". If I think about what these words mean and how they apply to me and society around me, I begin to understand the significance of what is meant. If I am not willing to change and grow in my life, if I am not willing to let go of my selfish ways, if I am not willing to learn and understand more about how our world works then I am just hanging around waiting to die. If I am willing to see things through other people's eyes, if I am willing to put other people first before my own cravings, if I am willing to open up my thinking to comprehend why others do things totally different than myself, then I am getting busy living. I do not want to miss out on life. The real life where I am actually a part of what is happening day to day. Not hiding out in some enclave safe and apart from the things that bring me discomfort. Life, unfortunately is uncomfortable, it has elements to it that are disagreeable and unsatisfactory. However if I am not making an effort to improve that which is uncomfortable then I am not part of the solution but more or less condoning the problem through inaction. Life should be interesting and full of opportunities, not chaotic and depressing. In getting busy living, I am taking the power of who I am and taking a stand about what is happening around me.

No comments: