Saturday, September 25, 2010

Being benevolent is the right thing to do (#603)

The acts that define charity and the spirit of good will toward others are benevolent. Truly pleasurable moments when I am in the position to participate. Acts of kindness lift my spirit from the regular emotion of reality to the higher plane of joy. I often lose track of what is going on around me when I am working toward something I want for myself. It is not difficult to understand that putting myself first in things leaves me vulnerable to not seeing what is happening to others. I must not be in so much of a hurry to accomplish my personal goals that I miss the bigger picture of life happening around me. I may be an individual encapsulated within the boundaries of my skin, but that is not enough of reality for me to live in. I am not satisfied with only being for myself, I want to be for more than just me. I get to do that by being a benevolent human. I am not judging, I am realizing what is going on. The questions "why" things are the way they are and "why" can't everyone take care of themselves is not for me to explain. I only see what needs to be done and when I can do something I do it. I get the benefit of a sense of an act of compassion, which by my understanding is right and good. I am not so much a biblical person but there are a few ideas that come from the bible that make perfect sense to me. "Build not your kingdom on earth but in heaven"-paraphrased. The riches and pleasures of this world are those that are stored in my mind and heart. Nothing else compares. The true act of being benevolent is so the right thing to do.

No comments: