Monday, September 20, 2010

The effect of being honest (#598)

I don't know how many times I have thought in my mind that sugar-coating the truth would make it sound better. Too many times I suppose. It is wrong every time, no matter how I can justify it in my head. First off, not telling the truth, as it actually is, does nothing to continue my growth in living a truthful experience. It also begins to justify the slippery slope of lying about little things toward lying about bigger things. This morning I initially had the thought that if I only explained a shortened version of a previous action it would sound less offensive and actually very restrained. When the reality was it had nothing to do with restraint and was selfish, revengeful and quite offensive. I suppose my sense of self-preservation may have been attempting to find an easy way out by fudging the truth. But what really is apparent now is that I was being a coward for not admitting I was at fault for my previous behavior. I am sure I am not the only one who has the problem of admitting not only a lack of courage but the act of cowardice as well. It is not often that the truth of this comes into play in my life but come into play in my life it does. If I choose to own up to it then I am giving myself a chance to learn a lesson and hopefully grow from that example. I do not need to deny that I am given to the human failings we all experience. I also do not need to deny the fact of the happening of it when it does happen in my life. The best judge in my life is me and I need to trust that being honest about me, is truly, the best for me.

No comments: