Thursday, April 28, 2011

It's not the color of one's skin, it is the character beneath it (#818)

So much is made of the difference between the color of our skin that I must say something on this. As a man who believes all humans who have, despite the survival instinct, two inherent traits within us, curiosity and compassion, I must say that the basis in deciding whether someone is more worthy of opportunity over another rings hollow. It is as if a keen awareness is given to a lack of resource and a me first attitude takes over. We are not at our best when we only think of ourselves first. Some again will disagree and say we should all be out for ourselves. those that do remind me of a hard and brutish world given to greed and manipulation, instead of the way it should be, with compassion and curiosity. I conjecture that the lack of compassion and curiosity is the reason for lesser, more base instincts, displayed as ruthless and uncaring, that take over our natures and turn us against one another. This is not a competition. All of us have been given the gift of life. What we do with it is now up to us and not just to the whim of privilege or historical acceptabilities. We are the new and fresh face of humanity. Our generations together have a say and a stake in how our planet evolves with us. The mysticisms and fear based binders that have held us in chains no longer are valid to our logical minds. When we see one of us we should automatically know that we are worthy of respect. I give respect to everyone, not everyone accepts that respect and that is reality. Certainly, I do not re-offer respect to those who would abuse it but that is on them and not on me. I do what I am supposed to do, without assumption or prejudgment. It is amazing how many times my respecting of others has come right back at me from them. Humans are of all different forms and that we are human is our link to each other. That is our blessing!

No comments: