Sunday, June 26, 2011

Checking my motives (#877)

Now this is a never ending process. I have reduced the amount of time spent checking my motives by remaining vigilant about what I actually think and do, but still, I find that my instincts toward some things have a natural appeal that must be weighed, in tandem with my personal principles. In other words, my animal nature, at times, can be influential outside my better instincts. There are other areas of concern as well, like my thoughts about my own predetermined ways of doing things. Then there is the biggest dilemma of all that I face, recognizing and accepting reality despite my own personal objections. Like I said at the beginning of this post, never ending. However, I am well settled within myself that I will never reach a plane of existence that has dominion over these human frailties I have, and I have succumbed to the notion that I can only recognize and correct them when confronted by them. One thing that has not failed me is my objectivity and my respect for it. I have the kind of characteristic within me that holds myself accountable when I am off track and I can readily admit that. There is no pretension of image or wisdom that I am protecting out of some status or egocentric personal obligation. I am fallible and proud to admit it. It means I am human and occasionally without intent, I veer off the course I wish to travel. That is the purpose of checking my motives, to keep myself in line with the principles for living that I will fight to maintain as examples of how I should live. I cannot ever expect to just walk through life without being vigilant about my stride. I may hold principles dear to my soul but unless I am keeping my eye on them at all times, I know I can easily slip into a less than principled mode.

No comments: