Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The importance of community (#859)

Togetherness is more important than aloneness. This may seem obvious but at this time in my life I rather prefer aloneness. However, my preference is not the control here and it is just a way of me isolating into a comfort zone where I don't have to be accountable to anyone, even to myself. As comfortable as this may make me feel it is wasteful on my part and speaks to a laziness I still have to confront. I know, through experience, that I get to grow as a human and actually feel better in my person when I am a part of something that includes others. It is in the "making an effort" that I get to elevate my earnest curiosity into an experience. I find that when I give opportunities that come my way a chance to become events I change not only my self-introspection but my outlook on the world around me. I do enjoy a word Shakespeare used in a play I saw. The word being, whirligig, it does describe life when all of us are active within it. A whirligig of motion, much like an orchestrated event with no clear meaning. But within that magical motion is a harmony of activity that allows for new insights and concepts. I need the community of us to be in my life more so than I need the sublimity of aloneness. There is a symbiotic relationship I feel I must maintain in order for the community to remain in existence. I must be a part as well and offer what I have to strengthen and grow our community as it requires. As I nurture and grow my responsibilities within the community I, in effect, preserve what nurture I receive from the community. It is like a bank in a way, I contribute to the whole while also receiving from the whole when needed. What are the real values in life? For me, they are interactions with life that bring newness to my mind and heart.

No comments: