Saturday, June 25, 2011

Religious belief systems and natural instincts (#876)

First of all I would like to define what belief systems are. They are a concept of a human construct based upon deity figure(s) and/or principles of afterlife with deity figure(s). There is the understanding that over time these concepts of construct are divinely inspired and given to us as a blueprint for living a just life until an afterlife is achieved through our demise. Existence comes to us without a manual and things like Bibles, Korans and other belief system divinely inspired documents purport to alleviate our fears about being born into an unknown. As fear can grasp us and make us aware that we have no foundational footing, a religious belief system offers us the sanctity of less fear when we can ameliorate a reason or purpose for our existence outside chance. It is a way of dealing with reality when a less than curious and caring mind controls our thoughts. This is where I compare our natural instincts with the belief system process. In a natural state of humanness, we are both caring about each other and curious about all that existence has to offer. In some ways we redeem our caring for each other in ways that bring happiness and resolve to our individual lives. We also continue to be curious about all of nature and the universe in ways that reflect objectivity. No presuppositions, or expectations, just curiosity with a keen sense for knowledge. I find that when I am in my caring and curious mode, I have no time for anything else. I do not need a pretense or a construct to "help" pacify my fears and insecurities since they are non-existent when I am fully engaged in being my human self. For me, and I am speaking for myself here, I do not need to be secure in the idea of an afterlife or have rigid rules to abide to in order to be a "good" person. I have my natural instincts and the ability to reconcile them in the reflection of curiosity and compassionate behavior.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about when you're not in your "curious" state? What do you think about then?

Man of Hope said...

In answer to your question Vicki, the present. I have learned that future tripping and things of the past are an illusion or daydream, unworthy of what is happening at each and every moment. Not to say that I don't daydream about the past and future but when I do it is for very short intervals and because I have been reminded of something relevant.