Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The beauty of my own insignificance (#1020)

Funny how thoughts occur to me. I know everyday that I will be writing on a subject but what that subject is doesn't normally materialize until I am sitting in front of the keyboard ready to go. However, sometimes the subject hits me in a dream or when I am just relaxing my mind and then suddenly some abstract concept jumps into the forefront of my thinking. This morning is like that in that last night while I was tossing and turning in my half-conscious sleep, I thought about how I can make a difference in life. Mario Savio's speech about throwing ourselves on the gears of the machine to make it stop struck me in a way that soothed my soul. I am just another human who can throw his body on the wheels and levers of the machine to force it to stop and understand that we all need to have our freedom. I can sacrifice myself with pride and dignity without having the fear of losing my life. This gets to what are my principles and how do I represent them. It does take courage to stand up to the unknown and be bold about my intentions. The fear that usually comes with that can freeze the actions of the best of us, however it does not have to if I have the knowledge that even despite death, my actions are of a greater significance. That is the key to defeating fear, understand that it does not matter. What matters is how I live my life. Change can occur and by me being ready and able to stand for it makes me the most alive I could ever be. There are others who have followed this path of giving of oneself for the greater good, maybe not as many as a strategy as opposed to snap decisions, but effective nonetheless. That I know I am insignificant in the big picture fulfills a necessary communal aspect of my soul and thus allows me to be just being another cog in the wheel of justice ready to throw myself in sacrifice upon the gears of the inhumane machine.

No comments: