Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The lazy minds of the irreverent (#1034)

I am all for a sense of humor, especially when the wit of the humor is sharp and cutting. However, I am not a fan of the jester, who's only purpose is a raw flippancy toward rationality. To abuse logic for the sake of living life to be callous, wasteful and diametrically opposed to progress is counter-productive. Using humor as misinformation for the sake of an illusory self congratulatory behavior is confusion gone amok. I try at times to debate with logical argument when in the company of the irreverent and end up realizing that regardless of the dead cold facts, the irreverent will never admit to them. Instead, they will only reverse the argument in a humorless way to find a self satisfying witty rejoinder that has nothing to do with the argument and everything to do with not addressing the argument. Always a segue from reality back to irreverency. This is not an uncommon approach by those whose knowledge base is not up to a truthful discussion on merit but instead is used to mask an ideal that cannot be defended with logic. It is disheartening to encounter since it dismisses rationalization as a method and relies on an attitude of outlandish dumbfoundedness. No serious communication can occur when the goal of the other conversant so implies an unwillingness to interact with honest intent about the subject at hand. I am shaking my head now just thinking about some of the conversations I have had that were utterly, and I mean utterly, useless. Although I know we are all gifted with the same abilities to reason and analyze, some have chosen to forsake those gifts and disabuse them in favor of being ridiculous and illogical. I cannot help but think that there is some underlying attribute of a rebellious nature at work but for the life of me I cannot discern it's positive effect. Such are the choices in our lives and making choices is what we all must face, apparently even irreverent ones.

No comments: