Thursday, November 24, 2011

Denial is not courage of conviction (#1028)

I have seen some very strange things over the course of my life but to me the strangest yet is how we humans will go to any lengths to hold onto an idea, yes an inanimate concept, despite the natural and logical detriment it causes us. It is as if a determined will of a force that cannot be stopped has over taken our ability to see objectively. It is reminiscent of a toddler throwing a temper tantrum, unable to absorb anything beyond it's own demands. I sometimes wonder if it is lack of understanding or lack of knowledge but I am unable to distinguish the reason. Again, where a concept of thought is held in higher regard than actual living beings. Now I do know that some principles are so dear that they must be valued at most all costs, but really, putting a philosophy or belief before an actual living being is absurd. I can only reconcile the thinking I am writing about here as fantasy. The facts that we exist in are not subject to an interpretation that allows for many to sacrifice for the sake of the few. That is the reverse of what our instincts tell us. We protect the weaker by standing up for them. We have a duty to ourselves to treat all life with dignity. I suppose it is just that many are not able to see the big picture and thus allow themselves the illogic privilege of determining how others must be characterized. I am all for the courage of my convictions because my convictions are honorable and noble principles. Unless we have clear living examples of what we have determined as our lifelong principles we won't be able to act upon the reality of life as it is. Our comprehension of what the problems and solutions are will always be incomplete and not helpful. I bring up denial because it is the closest thing I can think of that is so abundantly wrong with many who are promoting, inherently illogical norms as a purpose for living. More to come next time.

No comments: