Saturday, December 3, 2011

Science, a process toward satisfying my soul (#1037)

Science is a process of discovery, it is not a destination. My inner make-up revolves around my care and for this discussion, my curiosity. I need to know things and just like everyone else I have ever met. Needing to know things is a unanimous endeavor we all share. What do we use as a template for learning things? We use logic, intuition, and common sense but we must also gather empirical evidence. Science comes into play as a process of investigation. There are many tools like telescopes, microscopes and measuring instruments. We combine things together and separate things apart to form new understandings. Science allows us to see things with a broader panoramic view. Some other things science does is to help us innovate ideas into products or policies. We use science in our everyday lives so much that often we are just unaware of the benefits unless they are pointed out. Science invented the laundry and dish soap I use. The sheets, pillows and blankets I sleep with are advanced scientific products. A lot of the food I eat and the clothes that I wear have the stamp of scientific achievement to them. The air that I breathe and the water I drink and wash in have been sustained purer due to science and it's applications. Science in many ways is like a trusted friend, finding ways to make my life better all the while allowing me to pursue my natural instinct to know things. Without science our world would be crude, unenlightened and much more dangerous. Remember, science is a process, not a destination. Where science will lead us as a species will be determined by our effective utility of the results science produces. It is my vision that science is the catalyst that will eventually move us toward the answer of the greatest mystery of all, the answer to the question, why are we here?

No comments: