Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Maintaining an optimistic viewpoint (#1222)

I have to keep reminding myself that I am fortunate to be born into a society that has a rich tradition of striving for virtuous endeavors. Our society's history has been one of struggle to attain better ways of life and the result has been pretty remarkable. There are many more who are born into society's where their citizens and their governments don't regard human life with as much dearness as we do here in America. There is always room for improvement here in America but overall I am fortunate. As to maintaining my optimism, I feel an obligation to have the brightest vision of what life could be as a consideration for all that I have been given. I was not owed nor do I deserve any of what I have been given. It is up to me however to rationalize that concept into thought and action. Any advances I have made here in society have been from the struggle of our forefathers and foremothers who made our current way of life possible and in doing so have given me their shoulders to stand upon. I do nothing of what I have done without them and their sacrifices. Despite the fact that many in our society today do not recognize that without the past, they themselves are of little significance, much like myself. It is so important to understand a humility about what any of us has achieved but when we do realize our own fortunate achievements have been directly linked to those before us it is then that we can see the world as a bright and shiny place that needs our continued work to maintain it and improve upon it. Optimism is how we begin!

No comments: