Sunday, June 3, 2012

Responsibility forces us to think (#1220)

Individually, when we are given the opportunity to decide our own futures and destiny's it allows us to be critical thinkers. When we have decisions already pre-planned for us then we bypass critical thinking and just follow direction. Following direction in the military is good, in normal life, not so much. How are we ever going to advance as a society if we don't make our citizens individually responsible for the choices they make and the results that come about? I was talking with a friend this morning on Facebook chat about how I feel about abortion. I think it should be legal but I would hope that it is an option that is never employed. Still, we must be given the right to choose, and then when we do choose, we must then own our decision. When the individual personal decisions in life are taken out of our individual personal control, we deny our citizens the right of passage from situations that require our critical thinking, to citizens who are merely wards of the state without an input into individual thought and maturity. When I am responsible for my actions and thoughts, I own them with a greater respect and dignity. When I am not the final arbiter of my actions, I am less likely to honor my actions and thoughts. We need to grow and mature as a society and allowing ourselves to be accountable to our own individual personal actions and thoughts is how that achieves the necessary perspective for a little wisdom to begin to establish itself in our lives. There are many areas where the state has the duty to establish guidelines for our behavior, however, individual decisions, that are of a personal nature, as well as mind and gut wrenching, should be left to each individual to make. Own our choices, right or wrong, and let the results fall on the person who is responsible for it.

No comments: