Tuesday, June 19, 2012

You should choose to be courageous (#1236)

Being courageous is no easy task. Most of us know that by avoiding danger or principled stands we tell ourselves that we can stay out of unpredictable consequences and the bulls-eye of those who have contrary views. For most, being on the sideline of the "game of life" is the best way to stay unnoticed. When we are unnoticed it allows us to move in and around the issues of the day without compromising our other ambitions. I am not saying that at some times in our lives we need take a break from the battle of life to recharge our willpower, but what I am saying is that to take a break most of the time as a strategy to avoid the messy business of taking a stand is disappointing. Fear can be such an overwhelming obstacle to overcome yet if we don't continue to remain sentinel against fear's effect, we lose our perspective for fighting for the things we see as regressive and brutal. Never in my life do I feel so alive as a human being than when I am fighting for the just and honor of what is best about our species. Conversely, never do I feel so ashamed and impotent as when I shy away from doing something about a wrong that my principles are imploring me to stand against. So many of us wish to just coast through life and let others handle the real work of maintaining and growing the best parts of our society, but what will happen instead is that things don't change and actually get worse when most of us decide to forego courage for apathy and complacency. Remember this much about our lives, they are worth living if we are courageous enough to fight for our freedom to determine our destiny otherwise we become just another resource for others to use at their whim.  

No comments: