Wednesday, April 3, 2013

An insight at the hospital yesterday (#1524)

I was lying down in a room in the emergency section of the hospital yesterday when I overheard one of the technicians talking about how they work at a hospital and don't have any medical benefits. This struck me as odd since I would think that the hospital would want healthy employees treating their patients. I guess the administrators don't think that way. I would be curious to know why specialty technicians are not receiving medical benefits as part of their compensation. This whole idea of putting profits before health, in an occupation that delivers health care is even more absurd to me. What is even more troubling is that this hospital is a Catholic hospital. I wouldn't think that profits would be the greatest motivator in how it sees it's mission. Leaders lead by example and when those leaders are not the example we expect within some minimums I know for sure that our society has gotten it's morality confused with it's pocketbook. Many good things happened for me yesterday overall and for that I am grateful, however these fine people who dispensed their knowledge, kindness, care and professionalism to me should not have to be treated any less by those who employ them. For them to not have medical care established from the very health care institution they serve is demeaning. I am proud of the Americans I meet and for them to be treated like they are less human and more as a resource for profit is very disturbing to me. For those who brought me to a successful resolution to my ailment, thank you. For those administrators responsible for not having a health care plan for those same employees, you need to do better!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These actions baffle me. Especially being a Catholic hospital. One of many reasons I have left the church. I am seeing the light.