Sunday, September 15, 2013

Never change your foundational principles (#1689)

The nature of this existence and all that is within it is in complete subjugation to change, except that which we reason to be the most value in our own human species. For me it is to always allow for my curiosity and compassion to have the highest priority during my life. I do not always succeed in my vision but I never fail to strive. Like all of us humans I am subject to the change that happens all around us. I have to be understanding to the fact that change will happen regardless of my stubbornness to adapt. So for me the best option is to change with the change so that I can stay in step with it. I don't have to like it or hate it, I just have to adapt to it. But within me is a code of mindset that governs my conduct. First and absolutely foremost is the perfect concept of "do no harm". John Stuart Mill is generally recognized in western philosophy as being the most publicized advocate of this principle. I cannot for the life of me think of a more comprehensive three word statement that sums up the most of who I am. As a side note, it would behoove all to read up on the classical philosophers of recorded history and find the little nuggets they have left for us to find. Anyway, keeping our own personal ethics/morals/values that we have defined as the starting point for all our thoughts and actions is correct and useful. I have, over time, had to simplify my foundation so that equality, justice and humility have a greater role but changing the premise of my principles has never been an option. That virtue is the honorable and noble equation for my thinking is all I can ask for and nothing less will suffice or change it.  

No comments: