Thursday, September 5, 2013

Remembering to stop and smell the roses (#1679)

There is so much work to be done on so many fronts and not doing something all the time seems like a waste of time, however that is not true. I have a duty to our species as well as a little duty to myself to try to enjoy what we accomplish in order to appreciate what others have done before me and what others are still doing today. Knowing the benefits of hard work is why we fight so hard to protect what is good and to make new betters for tomorrow. A few moments of rest and appreciation are more like recharges to my motivational batteries so to speak and not doing so at times can make for an unappreciative Carl. I understand this and although I am not above having fun with rest and relaxation, there is still so much to do. The complexity of human life is just awesome that we can be so motivated to work ourselves hard for a better world but we can also stop and appreciate that hard work and enjoy the benefits it produces. I am older now and less likely to linger in the benefits of the goodness we create in life but that is why it is so important for me to remember why we fight for a world that has more to do with the best of virtue than what others see as a survival of the fittest. Others believe in a world where less is about reason and analyzing and more is about power and influence. Those are my combatants and they seem to have no time for the enjoyment of shared improvement, to their detriment. While they claim that no one needs anything outside their own success, they don't get to "feel good" about their accomplishments. Instead they feel a false sense of privilege that accounts for them being more human or more entitled to humanity than others who have not achieved their status. I will for one just thank my conscious, first because I have one, and second because it gives me a wonderful feeling of working toward shared enjoyment by all who wish a better world for all of us.

No comments: