Thursday, September 4, 2014

Our need for comfort is our undoing (#2043)

I have seen too many folks allow themselves to find comfort in squalor and then protect that state of sqaulor because of the security that comfort brings. Life should have the needed assurance that we are not always in the danger zone of chaos but not as a priority. Life and this environment should tell us that change is always, and I mean always, part of existence. None of us should ever have an expectation of "riding out" life in some horrible nor desirable way. We are a species and an environment that are in constant motion and all of our calculations about how we devise our society should reflect that. That old meme about leaving the world in a better place than when we got here is absolutely a truism. Our biology of information gathering and adapting is the first clue. Our need to know is within everyone of us, regardless of how we pretend it isn't. How we are constantly creating and innovating is another clue that we are not a static being nor is our environment. I don't have to tell you how much our planet is constantly in motion and at the mercy of the laws of the physical Universe. There is no debate that our planet is changing but there seems to be some very strong resistance to the same application to our species. We are constantly evolving evidenced by all of our own aging processes. I am not exactly who I was yesterday nor will I be exactly like I will be tomorrow should I be gifted with tomorrow. This is why our efforts should not be focused toward our own comfort but instead it should be focused on our need to be in action. I find the best application for my activity is to form an inclusive vision for our betterment and work toward that. I am not much more than insignificant but my insignificance is all I have to work with. So work I do and although I may never accomplish one tiny success, I will know for certain that I didn't sit back and let our society get worse without me fighting against that. Comfort is fine for the resting time between fighting for the better for our futures but only for reinvigorating my best efforts, not as an destination to arrive at for good. I will find my final comfort after I have perished. 

No comments: